Patients with complex healthcare concerns may receive care from a primary care physician, a visiting nurse, or a range of specialists. Coordinating that care can be challenging for patients and caregivers alike. Within VA, the goals of care coordination research are to understand those factors that contribute to effectively organized patient care and the sharing of information among all of a patient's caregivers. Ideally, care coordination research results in evidence that helps healthcare systems and providers achieve safer, higher quality, and more effective care for our nation's Veterans.
Each "widget" below is populated by a dynamic search of the HSR&D website and its underlying databases. Search results are generated based on the search term "Care Coordination". Results are updated regularly, as new data are available.
VIEW: Citations | Publication Briefs | Studies | HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters | Topic Spotlight | Cyberseminars | Videos | Podcasts | Other Resources
(5 of more than 144 CARE COORDINATION focused publications)
- Connor KI, Siebens HC, Mittman BS, Ganz DA, Barry F, McNeese-Smith DK, Cheng EM, Vickrey BG. Implementation fidelity of a nurse-led RCT-tested complex intervention, care coordination for health promotion and activities in Parkinson's disease (CHAPS) in meeting challenges in care management. BMC neurology. 2022 Jan 24; 22(1):36.
- Duan-Porter W, Ullman K, Majeski B, Miake-Lye I, Diem S, Wilt TJ. Care Coordination Models and Tools-Systematic Review and Key Informant Interviews. Journal of general internal medicine. 2022 May 1; 37(6):1367-1379.
- Berinstein JA, Cohen-Mekelburg SA, Greenberg GM, Wray D, Berry SK, Saini SD, Fendrick AM, Adams MA, Waljee AK, Higgins PDR. A Care Coordination Intervention Improves Symptoms But Not Charges in High-Risk Patients With Inflammatory Bowel Disease. Clinical gastroenterology and hepatology : the official clinical practice journal of the American Gastroenterological Association. 2022 May 1; 20(5):1029-1038.e9.
- Penney LS, Bharath PS, Miake-Lye I, Leng M, Olmos-Ochoa TT, Finley EP, Chawla N, Barnard JM, Ganz DA. Toolkit and distance coaching strategies: a mixed methods evaluation of a trial to implement care coordination quality improvement projects in primary care. BMC health services research. 2021 Aug 14; 21(1):817.
- Apaydin EA, Rose DE, McClean MR, Yano EM, Shekelle PG, Nelson KM, Stockdale SE. Association between care coordination tasks with non-VA community care and VA PCP burnout: an analysis of a national, cross-sectional survey. BMC health services research. 2021 Aug 13; 21(1):809.
» View more Citations
(5 of more than 29 CARE COORDINATION focused publication briefs)
- Early Expansion of Benefits under Choice Act Increased Community Hospital Use but Did Not Change Mortality
This study examined changes in VA enrollees’ use of VA and non-VA hospitals from 2012-2017, as well as mortality associated with policies intended to increase access to care, such as the Choice Act. Findings showed that over the five-year study period, Veterans increased their use of community hospitals paid by VA and Medicaid and decreased their use of VA hospitals when access to non-VA care expa...
Date: June 10, 2022
- Challenges and Strain on VA System Associated with VA-Funded Community Care for Veterans with Advanced Kidney Disease
This study sought to further the understanding of the internal challenges of cross-system healthcare use to the VA healthcare system and enrolled Veterans. Three dominant themes pertaining to VA-financed community care were identified. Themes described VA as mothership, the hidden work of Veterans, and strain on the VA system. ‘VA as mothership’ describes extensive care coordination by VA staff me...
Date: May 16, 2022
- Genetic Consultation Provided by VA Facilities or Centralized VA Virtual Care More Timely and Better Coordinated than Community Care Options
This study assessed care coordination and equity in the delivery of genetic care for the care models available to VA patients (i.e., VA-traditional, centralized VA-telehealth, and non-VA care). Findings showed that VA genetic care models – both traditional and centralized telehealth – had better care coordination than non-VA care. Veterans referred to non-VA care completed their consult only 57% o...
Date: April 11, 2022
- Specialized Primary Care Homes Effective in Treatment of Patients with Serious Mental Illness
This project studied the implementation and effectiveness of a primary care medical home specifically designed to improve the healthcare of Veterans with serious mental illness. SMI PACTs (Patient Aligned Care Teams) include a specialized, integrated team that can provide both primary and psychiatric care. Findings showed that a primary care medical home for Veterans with SMI can be safe and more ...
Date: April 5, 2022
- For High-Risk Veterans, Fragmented Care from Multiple Providers Does Not Increase Risk of Hospitalization and May Lower Hospitalization for Ambulatory Care-Sensitive Conditions
This longitudinal study sought to examine outpatient care fragmentation and its association with future hospitalization among Veterans at high risk for hospitalization. Findings showed that among this cohort, fragmented outpatient care did not increase Veterans’ likelihood of future admission and, in fact, was associated with a lower likelihood of hospitalization for ambulatory care-sensitive cond...
Date: February 18, 2022
» View more Publication Briefs
( 5 of more than 31 CARE COORDINATION focused projects
|| Patient Experience of Specialty Care Coordination under the MISSION Act
|| Impacts of the Electronic Health Record Modernization on Women's Health Care Coordination: A Qualitative Investigation
|| Care Coordination and Outcomes for High Risk Patients: Building the Evidence for Implementation
|| Women Veteran''s Satisfaction with the Maternity Benefit, Maternity Care Coordination, and Barriers to Care
|| Evaluating Care Coordination for Community Hospitalized Veterans to Improve Outcomes in Dual Use (ECHOeD)
» View more Studies
HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters
5 sample "Care Coordination" publications displayed.
Care Coordination || In Progress
Veterans Choice Program.1 Thus, coordinating care between VA and non-VA providers...providers is critical. VA defines care coordination as the...improve clinical decision-making and care, inform patients, evaluate changes in...various topics. In This Issue: Care Coordination Overview Ongoing HSR&D Studies
Overview: VA Care Coordination || In Progress
Veterans Choice Program.1 Thus, coordinating care between VA and non-VA providers...providers is critical. VA defines care coordination as the...This Issue: Care Coordination » Table of Contents VA Care Coordination Overview...Veterans Choice Program.1 Thus, coordinating care between VA and non-VA providers
Identifying and Delivering Point-of-Care Information to Improve Care Coordination with Hepatocellular Cancer || In Progress
Veterans Choice Program.1 Thus, coordinating care between VA and non-VA providers...providers is critical. VA defines care coordination as the...June 2018 In This Issue: Care Coordination » Table of Contents Identifying and...Delivering Point-of-Care Information to Improve Care Coordination Feature Article
Integrated Outpatient Palliative Care in Oncology
Integrated Outpatient Palliative Care in Oncology...Palliative Care in Oncology Integrated Outpatient Palliative Care in Oncology...3312258 #2 "Hospice and Palliative Care Nursing"[Mesh] OR "Palliative Medicine"[Mesh]
Evaluating Care Coordination for Community Hospitalized Veterans || In Progress
...team approach to primary care through Patient Aligned Care Teams or PACTs, which...a primary care provider, clinical pharmacist, registered nurse care manager,...VA Primary Care » Table of Contents Evaluating Care Coordination for Community...enhance best practices for hospital care transitions, clarify the factors associated
» View more Publications
Read more on this topic and related topics
The most recent "Care Coordination" seminars are displayed.
Patient Care Assessment System (PCAS) 2022 Update
|| LaFontaine, Tom
Perioperative Buprenorphine Management
|| Hickey, Thomas
The Influence of Facilitation on Care Coordination in VA Primary Care: Evaluation of the CTAC Quality Improvement Project
|| Penney, Lauren
Tanya Olmos-Ochoa, Neetu Chawla
Survey Measures to Evaluate Specialty Care Coordination Within and Outside of VA
|| Vimalananda, Varsha
Development of a Patient Reported Measures Display and Implementation across VA Salt Lake City
|| Patel, Shardool
» View more Cyberseminars
There are currently no videos for this topic.