We identify, evaluate and rapidly implement evidence-based strategies that improve the quality and safety of care delivered to Veterans.
- HSR&D focuses on using state of the art health systems research to support VA’s and the nation’s quest to scale up and spread innovative solutions to help solve today’s healthcare challenges.
- We support interdisciplinary research that encompasses all aspects of VA healthcare, focusing on patient care access, quality, outcomes, equity, value and experience.
- Approximately 1,000 funded HSR investigators lead studies addressing critical issues for both Veterans and the VA healthcare system.
- Investigations look at an array of topics, including suicide prevention, opioid and pain management, mental health, homelessness, complex chronic diseases, patient safety, women’s health, and care for underserved, marginalized, and at-risk Veterans throughout the U.S.
- HSR scientists use multi-disciplinary methods that span implementation science (strategies that more quickly translate treatments into care), data science (making data work for Veterans), Veteran and end-user engagement, systems engineering, and policy analysis and evaluation.
- As described in the VA Strategic Plan, HSR&D proposals are peer-reviewed and subject to strict standards regarding scientific merit and relevance to Veterans’ healthcare needs.
- HSR also supports education and career development for VA clinician and non-clinician scientists through the VA Office of Research and Development's Career Development Program, which includes post-doctoral awards that provide full salary support, allowing awardees to pursue an intensive period of mentored health services research and training