The medical management of chronic (long-term) or acute (short-term) pain is an important priority for VA, as some 77% of Veterans report pain control as among their top three priorities in primary care.* Important issues being studied include whether computer-aided screening will increase pain diagnosis, and what techniques will best support Veterans in self-managing their pain.
* Mitchinson AR, Kerr EA, Krein SL. "Management of chronic noncancer pain by VA primary care providers: when is pain control a priority?' Am J Manag Care. 2008 Feb;14(2):77-84.
Each "widget" below is populated by a dynamic search of the HSR&D website and its underlying databases. Search results are generated based on the search term "Pain". Results are updated regularly, as new data are available.
VIEW: Citations | Publication Briefs | Studies | HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters | Topic Spotlight | Cyberseminars | Videos | Podcasts | Other Resources
(5 of more than 1589 PAIN focused publications)
- Frost MC, Soyer EM, Achtmeyer CE, Hawkins EJ, Glass JE, Hallgren KA, Williams EC. Treating opioid use disorder in veterans with co-occurring substance use: a qualitative study with buprenorphine providers in primary care, mental health, and pain settings. Addiction science & clinical practice. 2023 May 4; 18(1):26.
- Midboe AM, Javier SJ, Salsbury SA, Katsovich L, Burgess DJ, King HA, Taylor SL, Martino S, Mayer JM, Wallace RB, Der-Martirosian C, Kerns RD. Impact of COVID-19 pandemic on nonpharmacological pain management trials in military and veteran healthcare settings: an evaluation informed by implementation science. Translational behavioral medicine. 2023 Apr 8.
- Han L, Luther SL, Finch DK, Dobscha SK, Skanderson M, Bathulapalli H, Fodeh SJ, Hahm B, Bouayad L, Lee A, Goulet JL, Brandt CA, Kerns RD. Complementary and Integrative Health Approaches and Pain Care Quality in the Veterans Health Administration Primary Care Setting: A Quasi-Experimental Analysis. Journal of integrative and complementary medicine. 2023 Mar 27.
- Goldsmith ES, Miller WA, Koffel E, Ullman K, Landsteiner A, Stroebel B, Hill J, Ackland PE, Wilt TJ, Duan-Porter W. Barriers and Facilitators of Evidence-Based Psychotherapies for Chronic Pain in Adults: A Systematic Review. The journal of pain. 2023 May 1; 24(5):742-769.
- Acharya M, Hayes CJ, Li C, Painter JT, Dayer L, Martin BC. Comparative Study of Opioid Initiation With Tramadol, Short-acting Hydrocodone, or Short-acting Oxycodone on Opioid-related Adverse Outcomes Among Chronic Noncancer Pain Patients. The Clinical Journal of Pain. 2023 Mar 1; 39(3):107-118.
» View more Citations
(5 of more than 93 PAIN focused publication briefs)
- Giving Veterans an Active Voice in Creating a Veteran-Centered Chronic Pain Research Agenda
Veterans Action League (VAL) 2.0 was a two-year community engagement project (2019–2021) that sought to develop a national Veteran-centered chronic pain research agenda that includes Veteran-generated recommendations for chronic pain management and chronic pain research priorities. Findings showed that Veterans’ most frequently cited need for chronic pain management and treatment was better access...
Date: March 23, 2023
- Black Veterans with Chronic Pain Express Dissatisfaction with VA Telehealth Options during Pandemic
This study sought to understand how Black Veterans with chronic pain experienced pandemic-related changes in VA healthcare delivery. Investigators conducted qualitative interviews with Black Veterans who had completed a randomized controlled trial of an intervention focused on communication and patient activation for Black patients with chronic pain. Findings showed that Veterans described mostly ...
Date: November 14, 2022
- AI-Guided Pain Care Might Work as Well as Phone Therapy
Investigators in this study developed a cognitive behavioral therapy for chronic pain (CBT-CP) intervention using artificial intelligence (AI) to automatically adjust the modality of weekly therapist interactions based on patient feedback reported daily via interactive voice response (IVR). This trial evaluated this intervention (AI-CBT-CP) relative to therapist-delivered telephone CBT-CP. Finding...
Date: September 1, 2022
- Low-Value Service Use Common and Costly among Veterans Enrolled in VA Healthcare
This study sought to quantify Veterans’ overall use and cost of low-value services, including VA-delivered care and VA-purchased community care. Findings showed that low-value service use is common and costly across a variety of VA services. In this study cohort, 19.6 low-value services per 100 Veterans were delivered by VA facilities or VA Community Care programs in fiscal year 2018, which involv...
Date: July 5, 2022
- PTSD-Multimorbidity in Recently Discharged Veterans Predicts Poor Social Functioning, Increasing Risk for Suicidal Ideation
A growing body of literature suggests that problems experienced by Veterans during their transition from military to civilian life confer significant risk for suicidal ideation (SI). One of these problems is PTSD, which, along with chronic pain and sleep disturbance, can increase risk for SI. Findings from this study showed that at approximately 15 months post-separation, almost 91% of Veterans wi...
Date: June 2, 2022
» View more Publication Briefs
( 5 of more than 98 PAIN focused projects
|| Options for Pain Management using Nonpharmacological Strategies (OPTIONS)
|| MOTIVATE to Improve Outcomes for Older Veterans with Musculoskeletal Pain and Depression
|| Self-Administered Acupressure for Veterans with Chronic Back Pain: A Multisite Evaluation of Effectiveness and Implementation
|| Role of Non-pharmacological Pain Treatments in Safe and Effective Opioid Tapering in Chronic Pain
|| COVID-19 Impact on Pain management: Highlighting, Explaining, and Realigning services (CIPHER)
» View more Studies
HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters
5 sample "Pain" publications displayed.
Evidence Brief: Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) for Chronic Pain, PTSD, TBI, Opioid Addiction, and Sexual Trauma - Supplementary Materials
Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) for Chronic Pain, PTSD, TBI, Opioid Addiction, and Sexual...Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) for Chronic Pain, PTSD, TBI, Opioid Addiction, and Sexual...Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) for Chronic Pain, PTSD, TBI, Opioid Addiction, and Sexual
Evidence Brief: Managing Acute Pain in Patients with Opioid Use Disorder on Medication-assisted Treatment - Supplemental Materials
Evidence Brief: Managing Acute Pain in Patients with Opioid Use Disorder on...Evidence Brief: Managing Acute Pain in Patients with Opioid Use Disorder on...Director Evidence Brief: Managing Acute Pain in Patients with Opioid Use Disorder
Benefits and Harms of Cannabis in Chronic Pain or Post-traumatic Stress Disorder: A Systematic Review
Benefits and Harms of Cannabis in Chronic Pain or Post-traumatic Stress Disorder: A...Benefits and Harms of Cannabis in Chronic Pain or Post-traumatic Stress Disorder: A...Benefits and Harms of Cannabis in Chronic Pain or Post-traumatic Stress Disorder: A
FORUM, Spring 2016: Chronic pain, opioids
...importance of pain research in VHA has never been higher. Defining pain as a public...Commentary Chronification of Pain and the Science of Pain Management Rollin M. Gallagher...Director for Pain Management, Veterans Health Administration Pain hurts. Without
Chronic Pain in Veterans and Servicemembers with a History of Mild Traumatic Brain Injury: A Systematic Review
Chronic Pain in Veterans and Servicemembers with a History of Mild Traumatic...Chronic Pain in Veterans and Servicemembers with a History of Mild Traumatic...Injury: A Systematic Review Chronic Pain and mTBI Evidence Synthesis Program
» View more Publications
Read more on this topic and related topics