Individuals may become homeless for a variety of reasons, ranging from financial difficulties to long-term chronic illness or substance use disorders. Examples of studies by HSR&D researchers include screening Veterans to determine if they are at-risk of becoming homeless, what types of preventive measures work to keep those at-risk Veterans from losing housing, and how to best provide assistance to homeless Veterans
Each section below is populated by a dynamic search of the HSR&D website and its underlying databases. Search results are generated based on the search term "Homelessness". Results are updated regularly, as new data are available.
VIEW: Citations | Publication Briefs | Studies | HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters | Topic Spotlight | Cyberseminars | Videos | Podcasts | Other Resources
(5 of more than 160 HOMELESSNESS focused publications)
- Harris T, Semborski S, Unger J, Chou CP, Wenzel S. Identifying Cigarette Smoking Trajectories from Homelessness to Housing. International journal of mental health and addiction. 2023 Jul 19; https://doi.org/10.1007/s11469-023-01106-x.
- Tsai J, McCleery A, Wynn JK, Green MF. Financial health and psychiatric symptoms among veterans with psychosis or recent homelessness during the COVID-19 pandemic. Psychological Services. 2023 Jul 6.
- Anderson JK, Mackey KM, Beech EH, Young S, Parr NJ. Factors Associated with Homelessness Among US Veterans: A Systematic Review. VA Evidence-based Synthesis Program Reports. Washington (DC): Department of Veterans Affairs (US); 2023 Jul 1.
- Padwa H, Henwood BF, Ijadi-Maghsoodi R, Tran-Smith B, Darby A, Bluthenthal R, Chinchilla M, Vickery KD, Kuhn R, Lawton A, Fenderson E, Galarza E, Haynes A, King D, Martiniuk E, Marshall P, Mendoza S, Patton T, Shaw S, Stevens R, Gelberg L. Bringing Lived Experience to Research on Health and Homelessness: Perspectives of Researchers and Lived Experience Partners. Community mental health journal. 2023 Oct 1; 59(7):1235-1242.
- Tsai J, McCleery A, Wynn JK, Green MF. Unconditional Cash Transfers and Association With Clinical Outcomes Among U.S. Veterans With Psychosis or Recent Homelessness. Psychiatric services (Washington, D.C.). 2023 May 10; appips20230021.
» View more Citations
(5 of more than 39 HOMELESSNESS focused publication briefs)
- Veterans Do Not Always Receive Appropriate Continuation of OUD Medications During Surgical Hospitalizations
This study sought to describe practice patterns of perioperative buprenorphine use within VA – and patient outcomes up to 12 months following surgery. Findings showed that the majority of VA surgical patients in this study who received buprenorphine for opioid use disorder experienced a dose hold at some point during the perioperative period despite a trend in clinical guidelines recommending bupr...
Date: September 20, 2021
- Personal and Community Risk Factors Associated with Unsheltered Homelessness among Veterans
This study sought to answer the question, “Among Veterans who have experienced homelessness, what distinguishes those who were recently unsheltered from those who were not?” Findings showed that among Veterans experiencing homelessness, being unsheltered correlated with individual (e.g., poverty) and community risk factors (e.g., poor access to shelter). Veterans who reported being unsheltered wer...
Date: July 15, 2021
- VA Workgroup Consensus Statement on Suicide among Homeless Veterans and What We Still Need to Learn
This article serves as a consensus statement by the recently formed VA Suicide Prevention among Veterans Experiencing Homelessness Workgroup – and provides a brief overview of current initiatives to prevent suicide among homeless Veterans. This consensus statement also discusses methods of conducting research within this complex subset of the Veteran population, as well as future research endeavor...
Date: April 1, 2021
- Temporary Financial Assistance Improves Homeless Veterans’ Odds of Becoming Stably Housed
Temporary financial assistance (TFA) provides funds for rent, utility payments, security deposits, and other housing-related expenses for Veterans who have lost – or are at risk of losing – stable housing. This study sought to determine whether TFA improves housing outcomes for Veterans with housing instability. Findings showed that compared to Veterans not receiving temporary financial assistance...
Date: February 10, 2021
- Use of VHA Homeless Programs Decreases Suicide
This study assessed whether participation in VHA Homeless Programs is associated with reduced risk of all-cause and suicide mortality among Veterans with housing instability. Findings showed that the use of VHA Homeless Programs among Veterans reporting housing instability was significantly associated with reduced hazards of all-cause and suicide mortality. More than one-half of Veterans reporting...
Date: November 18, 2020
» View more Publication Briefs
( 5 of more than 22 HOMELESSNESS focused projects
|| Capturing the Dynamics of Homelessness through Ethnography and Mobile Technology
|| Exploring Exits From Homelessness for Veterans with Serious Mental Illness
|| Identifying and Measuring Risk for Homelessness among Veterans
|| Current Evidence and Early Warning Indicators of Homelessness Risk Among Veterans
|| Screening and Referring Women Veterans for Homelessness Vulnerability
» View more Studies
HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters
5 sample "Homelessness" publications displayed.
Management Briefs eBrief-no37 -- Homelessness among Veterans
Management Briefs eBrief-no37 -- Homelessness among Veterans...2011 A Review of the Literature: Homelessness among Veterans Investigators at...to examine the epidemiology of homelessness among Veterans, as well as risk
Palliative Care for Homeless Veterans || In Progress
...an article that discusses the VA Homelessness Health Services Research Initiative...Initiative to help reduce homelessness and improve integrated care among Veterans...2016 In this Issue: Working to End Homelessness among Veterans » Table of Contents...Palliative Care for Homeless Veterans Ongoing study Among the homeless, mean age at
Working to End Homelessness among Veterans || In Progress
...an article that discusses the VA Homelessness Health Services Research Initiative...Initiative to help reduce homelessness and improve integrated care among Veterans... In This Issue: Working to End Homelessness among Veterans About 11% of the...are Veterans, and HUD's 2015 Annual Homeless Assessment Report (AHAR) estimates
Early Warning Indicators of Homelessness Risk among Veterans || In Progress
...an article that discusses the VA Homelessness Health Services Research Initiative...Initiative to help reduce homelessness and improve integrated care among Veterans...2016 In this Issue: Working to End Homelessness among Veterans » Table of Contents...Contents Early Warning Indicators of Homelessness Risk among Veterans Ongoing study
Identifying and Overcoming Organizational Barriers to Serving Homeless Veterans || In Progress
...an article that discusses the VA Homelessness Health Services Research Initiative...Initiative to help reduce homelessness and improve integrated care among Veterans...2016 In this Issue: Working to End Homelessness among Veterans » Table of Contents...Serving Homeless Veterans Feature Article Between 2009 and 2015, homelessness among
» View more Publications
Read more on this topic and related topics
- Visit the VA website's main resource page for Veterans and their families who are facing housing challenges.
- Learn more about the research and methodology being used to identify, evaluate, and eliminate Veteran homelessness.