HSR&D Resource Centers
HSR&D provides core funding to Resource Centers that support HSR&D management and the COINs by providing data, consultation, and focused research on management issues, health economics and system.
- Document and evaluate of VA economic data bases, including Managerial Cost Accounting (MCA) system national data extracts, and data on purchased care, pharmacy, prosthetics and other cost data.
- Create new VA economics data, including a comprehensive estimate of the cost of all VA health care encounters, annual patient-level cost estimates, an index of the relative labor cost of different facilities, a schedule of the cost of employing different types of health care staff, and a discharge-level database of inpatient costs derived from the MCA inpatient data.
- Provide Cybercourses on cost-effectiveness analysis and econometric methods.
- Coordinate Cyberseminars on health economic methods and findings
- Assist VA researchers with a health economics consulting service
- Convene working groups of HSR&D researchers to address economic issues of special concern to the Veterans Health Administration.
Center Executive Summary
Todd Wagner, PhD
Mission: To advance VA capacity to use data effectively for research and quality improvement and to foster communication between research data users and the VA healthcare community.
- Advance data knowledge and methods by conducting research and collaborating with experts in the field to create a knowledge base of factual and evaluative information about VA data and information systems.
- Disseminate data knowledge and information that enables researchers to maximize the power of VA data and information systems.
- Facilitate knowledge sharing among the data user community.
- Collaborate with VA data stewards and program offices to enhance data availability and to address issues affecting research that uses data and information systems.
Maria Souden, MSI, PhD
- Developing publications and managing HSR&D national dissemination efforts;
- Managing the national HSR&D and QUERI websites;
- Planning and facilitating meetings and conferences, including HSR&D and QUERI national meetings and state-of-the-art conferences;
- Coordinating HSR&D cyber seminars; and
- Developing HSR&D contributions to R&D publications and other VA and non-VA publications and products.
Gerald F. O'Keefe, JD, MPH