Caregivers and Family Support
A caregiver—sometimes called an informal caregiver—is an unpaid individual (for example, a spouse, partner, family member, friend, or neighbor) involved in assisting others with activities of daily living and/or medical tasks. Formal caregivers are paid care providers providing care in one's home or in a care setting (day care, residential facility, long-term care facility). There are almost 5.5 million caregivers caring for Veterans, and 96% of those caregivers are women. 70% provide care to a spouse or partner, and provide care for an average of 10 years. VA research into caregiving touches on everything from delivery of services to support for caregivers to the impact of policy decisions.
Each "widget" below is populated by a dynamic search of the HSR&D website and its underlying databases. Search results are generated based on the search term "Caregiver". Results are updated regularly, as new data are available.
VIEW: Citations | Publication Briefs | Studies | HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters | Topic Spotlight | Cyberseminars | Videos | Podcasts | Other Resources
(5 of more than 617 CAREGIVER focused publications)
- Schleiden LJ, Zickmund SL, Roman KL, Kennedy K, Thorpe JM, Rossi MI, Niznik JD, Springer SP, Thorpe CT. Caregiver and provider perspectives on dual VA and Medicare Part D medication use in veterans with suspected dementia or cognitive impairment. American journal of health-system pharmacy : AJHP : official journal of the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists. 2022 Jan 5; 79(2):94-101.
- Leykum LK, Penney LS, Dang S, Trivedi RB, Noël PH, Pugh JA, Shepherd-Banigan ME, Pugh MJ, Rupper R, Finley E, Parish-Johnson J, Delgado R, Peacock K, Kalvesmaki A, Van Houtven CH. Recommendations to Improve Health Outcomes Through Recognizing and Supporting Caregivers. Journal of general internal medicine. 2022 Jan 3.
- Schroeder K, Maiarana J, Gisiri M, Joo E, Muiruri C, Zullig L, Masalu N, Vasudevan L. Caregiver Acceptability of Mobile Phone Use for Pediatric Cancer Care in Tanzania: Cross-sectional Questionnaire Study. JMIR pediatrics and parenting. 2021 Dec 8; 4(4):e27988.
- Flatt JD, Pollock K, Lee R, Song Y, Wharton W, Anderson JG. Feasibility of the Savvy Caregiver program for care providers of LGBTQ adults living with Alzheimer's disease and related dementias. Alzheimer's & dementia : the journal of the Alzheimer's Association. 2021 Dec 1; 17 Suppl 8:e055633.
- O'Hanlon CE, Giannitrapani KF, Lindvall C, Gamboa RC, Canning M, Asch SM, Garrido MM, ImPACS Patient and Caregiver Panel, Walling AM, Lorenz KA. Correction to: Patient and Caregiver Prioritization of Palliative and End-of-Life Cancer Care Quality Measures. Journal of general internal medicine. 2021 Nov 3.
» View more Citations
(5 of more than 22 CAREGIVER focused publication briefs)
- Examining the Investment in Caring for High-Needs Patients
Since 2013, VA has invested more than $22 million in fostering and testing interventions within patient-centered medical homes at five demonstration sites to improve care for Veterans at highest risk for hospitalizations or death. In this commentary, VA authors involved in this project, known as the VA PACT Intensive Management program, reflect on lessons learned about improving care for this popu...
Date: September 10, 2021
- Veteran-Directed Care Adds to Options for Medically Complex Veterans Living in the Community – Without Raising Costs
One way in which VA facilitates independence and supports caregivers is through the Veteran-Directed Care (VDC) program, part of VA’s Office of Geriatrics and Extended Care Services. VDC enables enrollees to hire family members, friends, or neighbors as paid caregivers and also provides caregiver support, including caregiver training and burden monitoring. This study evaluated the incidence of VA ...
Date: June 1, 2019
- VA Experience with Implementing Intensive Primary Care Programs for Veterans at Highest Risk
This case study describes VA’s experience with implementing intensive primary care programs, as well as the program elements that appear to be necessary to meet the complex care needs of these high-risk Veterans. Findings showed that the PACT Intensive Management program (PIM) has been successfully implemented for more than three years at five demonstration sites in the VA healthcare system. The P...
Date: October 25, 2017
- Impact of Comprehensive Caregiver Support Program on VA Healthcare Utilization and Cost
The Program of Comprehensive Assistance for Family Caregivers (PCAFC) supports caregivers of Veterans from the post-9/11 era who need assistance with activities of daily living (ADLs) or supervision or protection because of the residual effect of injuries sustained during their service. A monthly stipend is provided to caregivers based on Veterans’ care needs. In this study, investigators examined...
Date: April 1, 2017
- Benefits for Veterans with Dementia who Participate in VA Program Integrating Healthcare and Community Services
This study tested the effectiveness of a telephone-based care-coordination program – Partners in Dementia Care (PDC) – that integrated healthcare and community services through structured coaching and support. PDC targeted both Veterans and their primary informal caregivers. Findings showed that compared to usual care, PDC was associated with significantly lower levels of self-reported adverse out...
Date: February 28, 2014
» View more Publication Briefs
( 5 of more than 59 CAREGIVER focused projects
|| Hospital GamePlan4Care: A Web-Based Delivery System for Dementia Caregiver Support
||Horstman , Molly
|| Improving Mental Health for Veterans with Dementia: Provider Training in Caregiver Engagement
|| The Impact of the COVID-19 Pandemic on Veteran Caregivers: A Mixed Methods Study to inform the VA Caregiver Support System
|| COVID-19 Impact on Biopsychosocial Factors of Loneliness in Rural Older Veterans and Caregivers
|| Caregiver SOS: An Intervention for Employed Caregivers
» View more Studies
Read more on this topic and related topics
The most recent "Caregiver" seminars are displayed.
Using Multiple Qualitative Methods to Study Changes in Care Delivery, In-Home Vaccination, & Social Isolation of Home-Based Veterans and Caregivers During the COVID-19 Pandemic
|| Wyte-Lake, Tamar
Informal Caregiver Support Policies & Use of VA Health and Vocational Rehabilitation Services
|| Shepherd-Banigan, Megan
Adaptation and Implementation of a Family Caregiver Skills Training Program: From single site RCT to multisite pragmatic intervention
|| Shepherd-Banigan, Megan
Van Houtven, Courtney
Balance Dysfunction after mild TBI: Findings from the Chronic Effects of NeuroTrauma Consortium Longitudinal Study
|| Cifu, David
Interventions to Support Caregivers or Families of Patients with TBI, PTSD, or Polytrauma
|| Williams, Jr., John
Williams, Jr., John
» View more Cyberseminars