Implementation science seeks to apply and integrate research evidence into practice and policy, with the goal of closing the gap between what is known and what is done. Implementation science researchers work to identify and address both facilitators and barriers to the uptake of proven health interventions and evidence-based practices.
VA health services researchers conduct a wide variety of implementation science research, largely through the Quality Enhancement Research Initiative (QUERI). Much of QUERI’s work has had significant impact on VA care and care policy, resulting in improved care for Veterans.
Each "widget" below is populated by a dynamic search of the HSR&D website and its underlying databases. Search results are generated based on the search term "implementation". Results are updated regularly, as new data are available.
VIEW: Citations | Publication Briefs | Studies | HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters | Topic Spotlight | Cyberseminars | Videos | Podcasts | Other Resources
(5 of more than 1602 IMPLEMENTATION focused publications)
- Hagedorn HJ, Gustavson AM, Ackland PE, Bangerter A, Bounthavong M, Clothier B, Harris AHS, Kenny ME, Noorbaloochi S, Salameh HA, Gordon AJ. Advancing Pharmacological Treatments for Opioid Use Disorder (ADaPT-OUD): an Implementation Trial in Eight Veterans Health Administration Facilities. Journal of general internal medicine. 2022 Jan 3.
- Kobe EA, Lewinski AA, Jeffreys AS, Smith VA, Coffman CJ, Danus SM, Sidoli E, Greck BD, Horne L, Saxon DR, Shook S, Aguirre LE, Esquibel MG, Evenson C, Elizagaray C, Nelson V, Zeek A, Weppner WG, Scodellaro S, Perdew CJ, Jackson GL, Steinhauser K, Bosworth HB, Edelman D, Crowley MJ. Implementation of an Intensive Telehealth Intervention for Rural Patients with Clinic-Refractory Diabetes. Journal of general internal medicine. 2022 Jan 3.
- Yakovchenko V, Morgan TR, Chinman MJ, Powell BJ, Gonzalez R, Park A, Malone PS, Chartier M, Ross D, Rogal SS. Mapping the road to elimination: a 5-year evaluation of implementation strategies associated with hepatitis C treatment in the veterans health administration. BMC health services research. 2021 Dec 18; 21(1):1348.
- Ballengee LA, Zullig LL, George SZ. Implementation of Psychologically Informed Physical Therapy for Low Back Pain: Where Do We Stand, Where Do We Go? Journal of pain research. 2021 Dec 7; 14:3747-3757.
- Livorsi DJ, Drainoni ML, Reisinger HS, Nanda N, McGregor JC, Barlam TF, Morris AM, Szymczak JE. Leveraging implementation science to advance antibiotic stewardship practice and research. Infection control and hospital epidemiology. 2021 Dec 2; 1-8.
» View more Citations
(5 of more than 102 IMPLEMENTATION focused publication briefs)
- Intervention May Decrease Workplace Staff Injury Rates Due to Assaults in VA Community Living Centers
An interdisciplinary, person-centered, behavioral intervention for managing distress behaviors in dementia, called STAR-VA, has been implemented in VA Community Living Centers (CLCs). This study sought to describe the incidence of workplace disruptive behavior incidents and staff injury rates occurring in 120 CLCs (62 of which had completed STAR-VA training) from FY12-FY17 and to assess the associ...
Date: August 30, 2021
- Primary Care Intensive Management for High-Risk VA Patients Did Not Improve Long-term (12-24 Month) Outcomes or Costs
This randomized trial tested whether primary care intensive management (PIM) teams could decrease acute care use, such as emergency department visits and hospitalizations, among high-risk Veterans during the second year of PIM implementation. Findings showed that offering an intensive case management program in addition to routine primary care services for high-risk patients increased outpatient u...
Date: June 18, 2021
- Healthcare Supplement Features HSR&D Articles on the Importance of Embedded Research
This supplemental issue of the journal Healthcare: The Journal of Delivery Science and Innovation considers the impact of embedded research on solving the disconnect between healthcare organizations and health services researchers. In November 2019, a national meeting was organized by a trio of Federal funders – VA, the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ), and the Patient-Centered Ou...
Date: June 1, 2021
- Medical Care Supplement Highlights VA Efforts to Increase Healthcare Options for Veterans through Community Care
In this Medical Care Supplement, 12 articles highlight research focusing on Veterans’ use of community care and how VA facilities interact with community care providers. The Supplement offers a broad examination of VA’s expanded Community Care program, from the Choice Act through the first two years of MISSION Act implementation, and highlights areas where additional research is needed to understa...
Date: May 13, 2021
- Research Suggests Battlefield Acupuncture is Immediate but Short-Term Pain Management Tool
This commentary summarizes work conducted to examine battlefield acupuncture’s (BFA’s) implementation and effectiveness within the VA healthcare system. Findings show that there is some evidence that BFA is a potentially effective, immediate, but short-term pain management tool that can be used in adjunct with other pain therapies. BFA produced a minimal clinically important improvement in pain fo...
Date: March 26, 2021
» View more Publication Briefs
( 5 of more than 706 IMPLEMENTATION focused projects
|| PAtient-centered mUltidiSciplinary care for vEterans undergoing surgery (PAUSE): a hybrid 1 clinical effectiveness-implementation intervention trial
|| Continuous Wearable Monitoring Analytics to Improve Outcomes in Heart Failure - LINK-HF2 multicenter implementation study
|| Chronic Antibiotic Suppression after Prosthetic Joint Infection: A Target for De-implementation
|| Progressing towards implementation of lung cancer screening the VHA
|| Predicting implementation from organizational readiness to change
» View more Studies
HSR&D Briefs, Reports, Newsletters
5 sample "implementation" publications displayed.
» View more Publications
There are currently no spotlight features on this topic.
The most recent "implementation" seminars are displayed.
New Developments in Cervical Cancer Prevention and Challenges in VA Implementation
|| Haskell, Sally
How Usable is that Implementation Strategy?
|| Lyon, Aaron
Implementation of a Cardiovascular Toolkit for Women Veterans: Results from EMPOWER QUERI
|| Bean-Mayberry, Bevanne
Putting Science into Practice is Hard: But There is Help!
|| Battaglia, Cathy
New Pain Management Collaboratory Funding Opportunity - Information Session with VA Pain & Opioid Program Offices
|| Kligler, Benjamin
» View more Cyberseminars
There are currently no videos for this topic.