Cigarette smoking remains a leading preventable cause of death and poor health in the United States. Veterans living with HIV have particularly high smoking rates; and due to HIV infection, smoking disproportionately affects their health risk. Although HIV patients face unique barriers to treatment access and smoking abstinence, few smoking cessation interventions have been developed for people living with HIV. To date, there have been no randomized controlled trials (RCTs) of smoking cessation interventions for Veterans living with HIV.
The overall goal of this award is to develop a personalized, multi-component mHealth/telehealth smoking cessation intervention that targets the individualized needs of Veterans living with HIV.
Aim 1: To qualitatively explore smoking cessation treatment preferences among Veteran smokers living with HIV, and to quantitatively evaluate perspectives on relapse-prevention messages among Veterans and smokers living with HIV
Aim 2: To use a successive cohort design to develop and obtain patient feedback on the intervention.
Aim 3: To determine the feasibility and acceptability of the tailored smoking cessation intervention for Veterans living with HIV.
Aim 4: To quantitatively examine trends and determine health disparities in use of smoking cessation aids among VHA patients living with HIV.
The study has multiple components: (1) Qualitative feedback will be elicited from 20 Veteran smokers living with HIV to tailor the intervention, and subsequent quantitative feedback (N=400 rapid online surveys) will gauge satisfaction with a library of support and relapse-prevention messages. Aim 1 results will be mixed to inform the preliminary intervention design. (2) Three successive cohorts (each n = 5) of patients will complete the intervention and provide feedback. Qualitative data from each cohort will be used to refine treatment components including the user experience. (3) A feasibility trial will include N = 30 Veteran smokers with HIV, randomized to MESH or to a comparison condition (best practice telehealth). Outcomes include measures of feasibility and acceptability, as well as preliminary implementation feasibility data (i.e., intervention cost and key stakeholder perspectives). (4) Two large national VA cohorts (Veterans Aging Cohort Study, Women Veterans Cohort Study) will be leveraged to examine systemic trends and potential disparities in smoking cessation pharmacotherapy prescriptions. Utilization rates will be compared by demographic group as well as medical comorbidity.
Not yet available.
Findings are not yet available. The study is anticipated to yield a new and potentially efficacious tailored intervention for smoking cessation among people living with HIV. This would have tremendous value in terms of reducing health risk and healthcare cost among this population of VHA high-utilizers.
External Links for this Project
Grant Number: IK2HX002398-01A1
- Van Voorhees EE, Dillon KH, Wilson SM, Dennis PA, Neal LC, Medenblik AM, Calhoun PS, Dedert EA, Caron K, Chaudhry N, White JD, Elbogen E, Beckham JC. A Comparison of Group Anger Management Treatments for Combat Veterans With PTSD: Results From a Quasi-Experimental Trial. Journal of interpersonal violence. 2021 Oct 1; 36(19-20):NP10276-NP10300. [view]
- Cunningham KC, Davis JL, Wilson SM, Resick PA. A relative weights comparison of trauma-related shame and guilt as predictors of DSM-5 posttraumatic stress disorder symptom severity among US veterans and military members. The British journal of clinical psychology. 2018 Jun 1; 57(2):163-176. [view]
- Gilmore AK, Wilson SM, Skopp NA, Osenbach JE, Reger G. A systematic review of technology-based interventions for co-occurring substance use and trauma symptoms. Journal of telemedicine and telecare. 2017 Sep 1; 23(8):701-709. [view]
- Goldstein KM, Bastian LA, Duan-Porter W, Gray KE, Hoggatt KJ, Kelly MM, Wilson SM, Humphreys K, Klap R, Yano EM, Huang GD. Accelerating the Growth of Evidence-Based Care for Women and Men Veterans. Women's health issues : official publication of the Jacobs Institute of Women's Health. 2019 Jun 25; 29 Suppl 1:S2-S5. [view]
- Newins AR, Wilson SM, Hopkins TA, Straits-Troster K, Kudler H, Calhoun PS. Barriers to the use of Veterans Affairs health care services among female veterans who served in Iraq and Afghanistan. Psychological Services. 2019 Aug 1; 16(3):484-490. [view]
- Green KT, Wilson SM, Dennis PA, Runnals JJ, Williams RA, Bastian LA, Beckham JC, Dedert EA, Kudler HS, Straits-Tröster K, Gierisch JM, Calhoun PS. Cigarette Smoking and Musculoskeletal Pain Severity Among Male and Female Afghanistan/Iraq Era Veterans. Pain medicine (Malden, Mass.). 2017 Sep 1; 18(9):1795-1804. [view]
- Coughlin LN, Wilson SM, Erwin MC, Beckham JC, VA Mid-Atlantic MIRECC Workgroup, Calhoun PS. Cigarette smoking rates among veterans: Association with rurality and psychiatric disorders. Addictive Behaviors. 2019 Mar 1; 90:119-123. [view]
- Dedert EA, LoSavio ST, Wells SY, Steel AL, Reinhardt K, Deming CA, Ruffin RA, Berlin KL, Kimbrel NA, Wilson SM, Boeding SE, Clancy CP. Clinical effectiveness study of a treatment to prepare for trauma-focused evidence-based psychotherapies at a veterans affairs specialty posttraumatic stress disorder clinic. Psychological Services. 2021 Nov 1; 18(4):651-662. [view]
- Wilson SM, Newins AR, Medenblik AM, Kimbrel NA, Dedert EA, Hicks TA, Neal LC, Beckham JC, Calhoun PS. Contingency Management Versus Psychotherapy for Prenatal Smoking Cessation: A Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials. Women's health issues : official publication of the Jacobs Institute of Women's Health. 2018 Nov 1; 28(6):514-523. [view]
- Dillon KH, Cunningham KC, Neal JM, Wilson SM, Dedert EA, Elbogen EB, Calhoun PS, Beckham JC, VA Mid-Atlantic MIRECC Workgroup, Kimbrel NA. Examination of the indirect effects of combat exposure on suicidal behavior in veterans. Journal of affective disorders. 2018 Aug 1; 235:407-413. [view]
- Coles TM, Wilson SM, Kim B, Beckham JC, Kinghorn WA. From obligation to opportunity: future of patient-reported outcome measures at the Veterans Health Administration. Translational behavioral medicine. 2019 Nov 25; 9(6):1157-1162. [view]
- Ronzitti S, Loree AM, Potenza MN, Decker SE, Wilson SM, Abel EA, Haskell SG, Brandt CA, Goulet JL. Gender Differences in Suicide and Self-Directed Violence Risk Among Veterans With Post-traumatic Stress and Substance Use Disorders. Women's health issues : official publication of the Jacobs Institute of Women's Health. 2019 Jun 25; 29 Suppl 1:S94-S102. [view]
- Lynch SM, Wilson SM, DeRycke EC, Driscoll MA, Becker WC, Goulet JL, Kerns RD, Mattocks KM, Brandt CA, Bathulapalli H, Skanderson M, Haskell SG, Bastian LA. Impact of Cigarette Smoking Status on Pain Intensity Among Veterans With and Without Hepatitis C. Pain medicine (Malden, Mass.). 2018 Sep 1; 19(suppl_1):S5-S11. [view]
- Hicks TA, Thompson AC, Wilson SM, Travis EA, Beckham JC, Calhoun PS. Knowledge Gaps around Smoking and Nicotine among U.S. Military Veterans Who Smoke and Implications for Practice. Military Behavioral Health. 2018 Dec 29; 7(1):40-45. [view]
- Wilson SM, Medenblik AM, Neal JM, Strauss JL, McNiel JM, Christian WE, Beckham JC, Calhoun PS. Lifetime Smoking Patterns and Preferences for Smoking Cessation Among Women Veterans Receiving Veterans Health Administration Care. Qualitative Health Research. 2019 Dec 1; 29(14):2096-2107. [view]
- Hicks TA, Wilson SM, Thomas SP, Dennis PA, Neal JM, Calhoun PS. Low Income as a Multiplicative Risk Factor for Oral Pain and Dental Problems Among U.S. Veteran Smokers. International Journal of Behavioral Medicine. 2018 Feb 1; 25(1):67-73. [view]
- Wilson SM, Thompson AC, Currence ED, Thomas SP, Dedert EA, Kirby AC, Elbogen EB, Moore SD, Calhoun PS, Beckham JC. Patient-Informed Treatment Development of Behavioral Smoking Cessation for People With Schizophrenia. Behavior Therapy. 2019 Mar 1; 50(2):395-409. [view]
- Dedert EA, Resick PA, Dennis PA, Wilson SM, Moore SD, Beckham JC. Pilot Trial of a Combined Cognitive Processing Therapy and Smoking Cessation Treatment. Journal of addiction medicine. 2019 Jul 1; 13(4):322-330. [view]
- Phillips RD, Wilson SM, Sun D, VA Mid-Atlantic MIRECC Workgroup, Morey R. Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Symptom Network Analysis in U.S. Military Veterans: Examining the Impact of Combat Exposure. Frontiers in psychiatry. 2018 Nov 20; 9:608. [view]
- Coleman JN, DeRycke EC, Bastian LA, Calhoun PS, Beckham JC, Kroll-Desrosiers AR, Haskell SG, Mattocks K, Brandt CA, Wilson SM. Predictors of prenatal smoking among US women veterans. Journal of Health Psychology. 2021 Nov 1; 26(13):2648-2655. [view]
- Newins AR, Glenn JJ, Wilson LC, Wilson SM, Kimbrel NA, Beckham JC, Va Mid-Atlantic Mirecc Workgroup, Calhoun PS. Psychological outcomes following sexual assault: Differences by sexual assault setting. Psychological Services. 2021 Nov 1; 18(4):504-511. [view]
- Shahrir S, Crothers K, McGinnis KA, Chan KCG, Baeten JM, Wilson SM, Butt AA, Pisani MA, Baldassarri SR, Justice A, Williams EC. Receipt and predictors of smoking cessation pharmacotherapy among veterans with and without HIV. Progress in Cardiovascular Diseases. 2020 Mar 1; 63(2):118-124. [view]
- Franzese AT, Blalock DV, Blalock KM, Wilson SM, Medenblik A, Costanzo PR, Strauman TJ. Regulatory Focus and Substance Use in Adolescents: Protective Effects of Prevention Orientation. Substance use & misuse. 2020 Oct 20; 1-6. [view]
- Kim B, Wilson SM, Mosher TM, Breland JY. Systematic Decision-Making for Using Technological Strategies to Implement Evidence-Based Interventions: An Illustrated Case Study. Frontiers in psychiatry. 2021 May 14; 12:640240. [view]
- Wilson SM, Burroughs TK, Newins AR, Dedert EA, Medenblik AM, McDonald SD, Beckham JC, VA Mid-Atlantic MIRECC Workgroup, Calhoun PS. The Association Between Alcohol Consumption, Lifetime Alcohol Use Disorder, and Psychiatric Distress Among Male and Female Veterans. Journal of studies on alcohol and drugs. 2018 Jul 1; 79(4):591-600. [view]
- Calhoun PS, Wilson SM, Dedert EA, Cunningham KC, Burroughs TK, Hicks TA, Beckham JC, Kudler HS, Straits-Troster K. The association of alcohol consumption patterns with self-rated physical health and psychiatric distress among Afghanistan- and Iraq-era U.S. veterans. Psychiatry Research. 2018 Jan 1; 259:142-147. [view]
- Blalock DV, Wilson SM, Dedert EA, Clancy CP, Hertzberg MA, Beckham JC, Calhoun PS. The Personality Assessment Inventory Alcohol Scale in Veterans With PTSD: Convergent and Discriminant Relations With the Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test. Assessment. 2020 Jun 1; 27(4):719-727. [view]
- Dir AL, Andrews AR, Wilson SM, Davidson TM, Gilmore AK. The Role of Sex-Related Alcohol Expectancies in Alcohol-Involved Consensual and Nonconsensual Sex Among Women of Asian/Pacific Islander and Women of European Race/Ethnicity. Journal of sex research. 2018 Sep 1; 55(7):850-862. [view]
- Medenblik AM, Mann AM, Beaver TA, Dedert EA, Wilson SM, Calhoun PS, Beckham JC. Treatment Outcomes of a Multi-Component Mobile Health Smoking Cessation Pilot Intervention for People with Schizophrenia. Journal of Dual Diagnosis. 2020 Oct 1; 16(4):420-428. [view]
- Calhoun PS, Wilson SM, Hertzberg JS, Kirby AC, McDonald SD, Dennis PA, Bastian LA, Dedert EA, VA Mid-Atlantic MIRECC Workgroup , Beckham JC. Validation of Veterans Affairs Electronic Medical Record Smoking Data Among Iraq- and Afghanistan-Era Veterans. Journal of general internal medicine. 2017 Nov 1; 32(11):1228-1234. [view]
Substance Use Disorders