The Research Career Scientist (RCS) program advances the VA research mission by supporting VA investigators who have distinguished themselves through scientific achievement, mentoring, collaboration, leadership, and service.
VA Research Career Scientists are expected to: conduct and publish scholarly research that impacts clinical practice or health policy; mentor early-career VA researchers; collaborate with other VA investigators; and serve as a national resource for the broader VA research community.
Dr. Voils pursues the objectives of the RCS program by: (1) conducting research in her area of interest (developing and evaluating behavioral interventions to promote healthy behaviors, with an emphasis on treating patients with obesity; incorporating genomic/genetic information in healthcare delivery; and advancing measurement of self-reported medication nonadherence); (2) mentoring postdoctoral fellows and early-career faculty; (3) collaborating with other VA investigators with synergistic interests at various VA hospitals; and (4) serving in various service and leadership roles both locally and nationally.
Not yet available.
Dr. Voils' methodological studies have advanced measurement and research synthesis methods that can be used in health services research. Her previous randomized controlled trials have led to knowledge about strategies that are effective and ineffective for promoting initiation and maintenance of health behaviors. These findings are intended to provide VA policy makers with evidence about the effectiveness of strategies to improve the quality and outcomes of care for veterans. Through her mentorship, Dr. Voils is increasing contributing to the next generation of clinician and non-clinician health services researchers.
External Links for this Project
Grant Number: IK6RX002991-01
- Lin PH, Intille S, Bennett G, Bosworth HB, Corsino L, Voils C, Grambow S, Lazenka T, Batch BC, Tyson C, Svetkey LP. Adaptive intervention design in mobile health: Intervention design and development in the Cell Phone Intervention for You trial. Clinical trials (London, England). 2015 Dec 1; 12(6):634-45. [view]
- Sperber NR, Andrews SM, Voils CI, Green GL, Provenzale D, Knight S. Barriers and Facilitators to Adoption of Genomic Services for Colorectal Care within the Veterans Health Administration. Journal of personalized medicine. 2016 Apr 28; 6(2). [view]
- Svetkey LP, Batch BC, Lin PH, Intille SS, Corsino L, Tyson CC, Bosworth HB, Grambow SC, Voils C, Loria C, Gallis JA, Schwager J, Bennett GG, Bennett GB. Cell phone intervention for you (CITY): A randomized, controlled trial of behavioral weight loss intervention for young adults using mobile technology. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2015 Nov 1; 23(11):2133-41. [view]
- Orlando LA, Sperber NR, Voils C, Nichols M, Myers RA, Wu RR, Rakhra-Burris T, Levy KD, Levy M, Pollin TI, Guan Y, Horowitz CR, Ramos M, Kimmel SE, McDonough CW, Madden EB, Damschroder LJ. Developing a common framework for evaluating the implementation of genomic medicine interventions in clinical care: the IGNITE Network's Common Measures Working Group. Genetics in Medicine : Official Journal of The American College of Medical Genetics. 2018 Jun 1; 20(6):655-663. [view]
- Fox B, Chen E, Suzo A, Jolles S, Greenberg JA, Campos GM, Voils CI, Funk LM. Dietary and psych predictors of weight loss after gastric bypass. The Journal of surgical research. 2015 Aug 1; 197(2):283-90. [view]
- Voils CI, Coffman CJ, Grubber JM, Edelman D, Sadeghpour A, Maciejewski ML, Bolton J, Cho A, Ginsburg GS, Yancy WS. Does Type 2 Diabetes Genetic Testing and Counseling Reduce Modifiable Risk Factors? A Randomized Controlled Trial of Veterans. Journal of general internal medicine. 2015 Nov 1; 30(11):1591-8. [view]
- Yancy WS, McVay MA, Voils CI. Effect of allowing choice of diet on weight loss--in response. Annals of internal medicine. 2015 Nov 17; 163(10):805-6. [view]
- Funk LM, Shan Y, Voils CI, Kloke J, Hanrahan LP. Electronic Health Record Data Versus the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES): A Comparison of Overweight and Obesity Rates. Medical care. 2017 Jun 1; 55(6):598-605. [view]
- Svetkey LP, Batch BC, Lin PH, Intille SS, Corsino L, Tyson CC, Bosworth HB, Grambow SC, Voils C, Loria C, Gallis JA, Schwager J, Bennett GG. Erratum: Cell phone intervention for you (CITY): A randomized, controlled trial of behavioral weight loss intervention for young adults using mobile technology. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2016 Feb 1; 24(2):536. [view]
- McVay MA, Voils CI, Geiselman PJ, Smith VA, Coffman CJ, Mayer S, Yancy WS. Food preferences and weight change during low-fat and low-carbohydrate diets. Appetite. 2016 Aug 1; 103:336-343. [view]
- Sperber NR, Voils CI, Coe NB, Konetzka RT, Boles J, Van Houtven CH. How Can Adult Children Influence Parents' Long-Term Care Insurance Purchase Decisions? The Gerontologist. 2017 Apr 1; 57(2):292-299. [view]
- Crowley MJ, Edelman D, Voils CI, Maciejewski ML, Coffman CJ, Jeffreys AS, Turner MJ, Gaillard LA, Hinton TA, Strawbridge E, Zervakis J, Barton AB, Yancy WS. Jump starting shared medical appointments for diabetes with weight management: Rationale and design of a randomized controlled trial. Contemporary clinical trials. 2017 Jul 1; 58:1-12. [view]
- Voils CI, Olsen MK, Gierisch JM, McVay MA, Grubber JM, Gaillard L, Bolton J, Maciejewski ML, Strawbridge E, Yancy WS. Maintenance of Weight Loss After Initiation of Nutrition Training: A Randomized Trial. Annals of internal medicine. 2017 Apr 4; 166(7):463-471. [view]
- Funk LM, Jolles SA, Voils CI. Obesity as a disease: has the AMA resolution had an impact on how physicians view obesity? Surgery for obesity and related diseases : official journal of the American Society for Bariatric Surgery. 2016 Aug 1; 12(7):1431-1435. [view]
- Funk LM, Jolles S, Fischer LE, Voils CI. Patient and Referring Practitioner Characteristics Associated With the Likelihood of Undergoing Bariatric Surgery: A Systematic Review. JAMA surgery. 2015 Oct 1; 150(10):999-1005. [view]
- McVay MA, Yancy WS, Scott CN, Wilson-Barlow L, Woolson S, McSherry WC, Allen S, Voils CI. Patient factors associated with initiation of behavioral weight loss treatment: a prospective observational study in an integrated care setting. Translational behavioral medicine. 2017 Mar 1; 7(1):75-83. [view]
- Voils CI, Sleath B, Maciejewski ML. Patient perspectives on having multiple versus single prescribers of chronic disease medications: results of a qualitative study in a veteran population. BMC health services research. 2014 Oct 25; 14(1):490. [view]
- Funk LM, Grubber JM, McVay MA, Olsen MK, Yancy WS, Voils CI. Patient predictors of weight loss following a behavioral weight management intervention among US Veterans with severe obesity. Eating and Weight Disorders : EWD. 2018 Oct 1; 23(5):587-595. [view]
- Funk LM, Jolles SA, Greenberg CC, Schwarze ML, Safdar N, McVay MA, Whittle JC, Maciejewski ML, Voils CI. Primary care physician decision making regarding severe obesity treatment and bariatric surgery: a qualitative study. Surgery for obesity and related diseases : official journal of the American Society for Bariatric Surgery. 2016 May 1; 12(4):893-901. [view]
- Voils CI, Grubber JM, McVay MA, Olsen MK, Bolton J, Gierisch JM, Taylor SS, Maciejewski ML, Yancy WS. Recruitment and Retention for a Weight Loss Maintenance Trial Involving Weight Loss Prior to Randomization. Obesity science & practice. 2016 Dec 1; 2(4):355-365. [view]
- Abbott DE, Voils CL, Fisher DA, Greenberg CC, Safdar N. Socioeconomic disparities, financial toxicity, and opportunities for enhanced system efficiencies for patients with cancer. Journal of Surgical Oncology. 2017 Mar 1; 115(3):250-256. [view]
- Ulmer CS, Bosworth HB, Beckham JC, Germain A, Jeffreys AS, Edelman D, Macy S, Kirby A, Voils CI. Veterans Affairs Primary Care Provider Perceptions of Insomnia Treatment. Journal of clinical sleep medicine : JCSM : official publication of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine. 2017 Aug 15; 13(8):991-999. [view]
- Ulmer CS, Voils CI. Management of Insomnia in the Primary Care Setting. HSR&D Career Development Award Enhancement Initiative [Cyberseminar]. HSR&D. 2016 Oct 11. [view]
- Masheb R, Maguen S, Higgins D, Voils CI. High-risk patient groups with obesity and implications for tailoring weight loss treatments. Presented at: Society of Behavioral Medicine Annual Meeting and Scientific Sessions; 2016 Apr 1; Washington, DC. [view]
- Masheb R, Maguen S, Higgins D, Voils CI. High-Risk patient Groups with Obesity and Implications for Tailoring Weight Loss Treatments. Poster session presented at: Society of Behavioral Medicine Annual Meeting and Scientific Sessions; 2016 Apr 2; Washington, DC. [view]
- Fisher DA, Voils CI, Choudhry K. Physician attitudes about and adherence to guidelines for screening colonoscopy intervals. Poster session presented at: Society of Behavioral Medicine Annual Meeting and Scientific Sessions; 2016 Mar 31; Washington, DC. [view]
- Maciejewski ML, Voils CI, Wang V, Ding L, Curtis L, Qualls L, Bayliss El, Hammill B. Prescriber Continuity, Medication Adherence, Utilization and Expenditures for Complex Medicare Beneficiaries. Poster session presented at: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality Annual Conference; 2015 Oct 4; Crystal City, VA. [view]
- Funk LM, Jolles S, Greenberg CC, Voils CI. Primary Care Physician Approaches to Severe Obesity Treatment and Bariatric Surgery: A Qualitative Study. Presented at: American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Annual Conference; 2015 Nov 5; Los Angeles, CA. [view]
- Funk LM, McVay M, Olsen MK, Grubber J, Yancy WS, Voils CI. Psychosocial predictors of weight loss following a behavioral weight management intervention among Veterans with severe obesity. Poster session presented at: Obesity Society Annual Scientific Meeting; 2015 Nov 4; New Orleans, LA. [view]
- Voils CI, Olsen MK, Gierisch JM, Grubber J, McVay M, Bolton J, Gaillard L, Maciejewski ML, Yancy WS. Weight outcome from the Maintenance After Initiation of Nutrition Training (MAINTAIN) trial. Presented at: Society of Behavioral Medicine Annual Meeting and Scientific Sessions; 2016 Apr 1; Washington, DC. [view]