skip to page content
Talk to the Veterans Crisis Line now
U.S. flag
An official website of the United States government

Health Services Research & Development

Go to the ORD website
Go to the QUERI website

HSR&D Citation Abstract

Search | Search by Center | Search by Source | Keywords in Title

Retaining HIV Patients in Care: The Role of Initial Patient Care Experiences.

Dang BN, Westbrook RA, Hartman CM, Giordano TP. Retaining HIV Patients in Care: The Role of Initial Patient Care Experiences. AIDS and behavior. 2016 Oct 1; 20(10):2477-87.

Dimensions for VA is a web-based tool available to VA staff that enables detailed searches of published research and research projects.

If you have VA-Intranet access, click here for more information

VA staff not currently on the VA network can access Dimensions by registering for an account using their VA email address.
   Search Dimensions for VA for this citation
* Don't have VA-internal network access or a VA email address? Try searching the free-to-the-public version of Dimensions


Cross-sectional studies have shown an association between better patient experiences and health outcomes. However, the direction of causality remains unclear. Our prospective study seeks to determine whether better initial patient experiences predict subsequent retention in HIV care. We enrolled patients new to an HIV clinic in Houston, Texas, from August 26, 2013 to November 18, 2013. The patients' overall experience with the HIV provider was based on six items; overall experience with the HIV clinic was based on five items. We measured subsequent retention over the first 6 months and entire first year of HIV care. Analyses included 140 patients. Sixty-one percent were non-Hispanic black, 41 % were diagnosed with HIV within the last 3 months, and 36 % had a CD4 cell count < 200. Thirty three percent were totally satisfied with their initial HIV provider experience and 32 % were totally satisfied with their initial HIV clinic experience. Retention was 68 % over the first 6 months and 51 % over the first year. Satisfaction with the HIV provider at the initial visit significantly predicted 6-month retention in care (aOR  =  3.56, p  =  0.006). Similar results were found for satisfaction with the HIV clinic (aOR  =  4.67, p  =  0.002). Neither of the patient experience measures at the initial visit predicted 12-month retention. Patients with better initial care experiences have significantly greater retention in HIV care. The effect of better initial care experiences was limited in duration. Consistently improving patient care experiences, not only at baseline but also on subsequent visits, may be a way to increase retention in HIV care.

Questions about the HSR&D website? Email the Web Team

Any health information on this website is strictly for informational purposes and is not intended as medical advice. It should not be used to diagnose or treat any condition.