Talk to the Veterans Crisis Line now
U.S. flag
An official website of the United States government

Health Services Research & Development

Go to the ORD website
Go to the QUERI website

HSR&D Citation Abstract

Search | Search by Center | Search by Source | Keywords in Title

Prevalence, predictors, and outcomes of poststroke falls in acute hospital setting.

Schmid AA, Wells CK, Concato J, Dallas MI, Lo AC, Nadeau SE, Williams LS, Peixoto AJ, Gorman M, Boice JL, Struve F, McClain V, Bravata DM. Prevalence, predictors, and outcomes of poststroke falls in acute hospital setting. Journal of rehabilitation research and development. 2011 Jan 3; 47(6):553-62.

Dimensions for VA is a web-based tool available to VA staff that enables detailed searches of published research and research projects.

If you have VA-Intranet access, click here for more information vaww.hsrd.research.va.gov/dimensions/

VA staff not currently on the VA network can access Dimensions by registering for an account using their VA email address.
   Search Dimensions for VA for this citation
* Don't have VA-internal network access or a VA email address? Try searching the free-to-the-public version of Dimensions



Abstract:

Falls are a serious medical complication following stroke. The objectives of this study were to (1) confirm the prevalence of falls among patients with stroke during acute hospitalization, (2) identify factors associated with falls during the acute stay, and (3) examine whether in-hospital falls were associated with loss of function after stroke (new dependence at discharge). We completed a secondary analysis of data from a retrospective cohort study of patients with ischemic stroke who were hospitalized at one of four hospitals. We used logistic regression to identify factors associated with inpatient falls and examine the association between falls and loss of function. Among 1,269 patients with stroke, 65 (5%) fell during the acute hospitalization period. We found two characteristics independently associated with falls: greater stroke severity (National Institutes of Health Stroke Scale [NIHSS] 8, adjusted odds ratio [OR] = 3.63, 95% confidence interval [CI]: 1.46-9.00) and history of anxiety (adjusted OR = 4.90, 95% CI: 1.70-13.90). Falls were independently associated with a loss of function (adjusted OR = 9.85, 95% CI: 1.22-79.75) even after adjusting for age, stroke severity, gait abnormalities, and past stroke. Stroke severity (NIHSS > 8) may be clinically useful during the acute inpatient setting in identifying those at greatest risk of falling. Given the association between falls and poor patient outcomes, rehabilitation interventions should be implemented to prevent falls poststroke.





Questions about the HSR&D website? Email the Web Team.

Any health information on this website is strictly for informational purposes and is not intended as medical advice. It should not be used to diagnose or treat any condition.