Talk to the Veterans Crisis Line now
U.S. flag
An official website of the United States government

Health Services Research & Development

Go to the ORD website
Go to the QUERI website

HSR&D Citation Abstract

Search | Search by Center | Search by Source | Keywords in Title

Associations Among Military Sexual Trauma, Opioid Use Disorder, and Gender.

Beckman KL, Williams EC, Hebert PL, Frost MC, Rubinsky AD, Hawkins EJ, Littman AJ, Lehavot K. Associations Among Military Sexual Trauma, Opioid Use Disorder, and Gender. American journal of preventive medicine. 2022 Mar 1; 62(3):377-386.

Dimensions for VA is a web-based tool available to VA staff that enables detailed searches of published research and research projects.

If you have VA-Intranet access, click here for more information vaww.hsrd.research.va.gov/dimensions/

VA staff not currently on the VA network can access Dimensions by registering for an account using their VA email address.
   Search Dimensions for VA for this citation
* Don't have VA-internal network access or a VA email address? Try searching the free-to-the-public version of Dimensions



Abstract:

INTRODUCTION: Opioid use disorder and high-risk opioid prescription increase the risks for overdose and death. In Veterans, military sexual trauma is associated with increased risk for assorted health conditions. This study evaluates the association of military sexual trauma with opioid use disorder and high-risk opioid prescription and potential moderation by gender. METHODS: In a national sample of Veterans Health Administration outpatients receiving care from October 1, 2009 to August 1, 2017, logistic regression models were fit to evaluate the associations between military sexual trauma and opioid use disorder and high-risk opioid prescription, adjusting for demographic and clinical covariates. A second set of models included a gender X military sexual trauma interaction. Analyses were conducted in 2020-2021. RESULTS: Patients with history of military sexual trauma (n = 327,193) had 50% higher odds of opioid use disorder diagnosis (AOR = 1.50, 95% CI = 1.45, 1.54, p < 0.001) and 5% higher odds of high-risk opioid prescription (AOR = 1.05, 95% CI = 1.04, 1.07, p < 0.001) than those without history of military sexual trauma (n = 7,738,665). The effect of military sexual trauma on opioid use disorder was stronger in men than in women . The predicted probability of opioid use disorder among men with history of military sexual trauma (1.5%) was nearly double that of women with history of military sexual trauma (0.8%). CONCLUSIONS: Military sexual trauma was a significant risk factor for opioid use disorder and high-risk opioid prescription, with the former association particularly strong in men. Clinical care for Veterans with military sexual trauma should consider elevated risk of opioid use disorder and high-risk opioid prescription.





Questions about the HSR&D website? Email the Web Team.

Any health information on this website is strictly for informational purposes and is not intended as medical advice. It should not be used to diagnose or treat any condition.