Talk to the Veterans Crisis Line now
U.S. flag
An official website of the United States government

Health Services Research & Development

Go to the ORD website
Go to the QUERI website

HSR&D Citation Abstract

Search | Search by Center | Search by Source | Keywords in Title

Ileostomy creation in colorectal cancer surgery: risk of acute kidney injury and chronic kidney disease.

Li L, Lau KS, Ramanathan V, Orcutt ST, Sansgiry S, Albo D, Berger DH, Anaya DA. Ileostomy creation in colorectal cancer surgery: risk of acute kidney injury and chronic kidney disease. The Journal of surgical research. 2017 Apr 1; 210:204-212.

Dimensions for VA is a web-based tool available to VA staff that enables detailed searches of published research and research projects.

If you have VA-Intranet access, click here for more information vaww.hsrd.research.va.gov/dimensions/

VA staff not currently on the VA network can access Dimensions by registering for an account using their VA email address.
   Search Dimensions for VA for this citation
* Don't have VA-internal network access or a VA email address? Try searching the free-to-the-public version of Dimensions



Abstract:

BACKGROUND: Ileostomy creation is associated with postoperative dehydration and readmission; however, the effect on renal function is unknown. Our goal was to characterize the impact of ileostomy creation on acute and chronic renal function. MATERIALS AND METHODS: A retrospective cohort study with patients undergoing colorectal cancer surgery at a tertiary referral institution (2005-2011). The relationship between ileostomy creation and acute kidney injury (AKI)-related readmission, severe chronic kidney disease (CKD) at 12 mo (glomerular filtration rate < 30 mL/min/1.73 m(2)), and onset of severe CKD over time was evaluated using multivariable logistic and Cox regression and adjusted using propensity score stratification. RESULTS: Among 619 patients, 84 (13%) had ileostomy. AKI-related readmission and severe CKD at 12 mo were more common among ileostomy patients (17% versus 2%, P  <  0.01 and 13.3% versus 5%, P  =  0.02, respectively). After propensity score adjustment, ileostomy was a significant predictor of AKI-related readmissions (odds ratio: 10.3; 95% confidence interval [CI], 3.9-27.2), severe CKD at 12 mo (odds ratio: 4.1; 95% CI, 1.4-11.9), and onset of severe CKD over time (hazard ratio: 4.2; 95% CI, 2.3-6.6). CONCLUSIONS: Ileostomy creation is associated with increased risk of AKI-related readmissions and development of severe CKD. Future studies must focus on strategies to minimize kidney injury when ileostomy is a necessary component of colorectal cancer surgery and revisiting current indications for ileostomy creation.





Questions about the HSR&D website? Email the Web Team.

Any health information on this website is strictly for informational purposes and is not intended as medical advice. It should not be used to diagnose or treat any condition.