Guidelines for Media Response & Results Notification Guidelines
VA researchers conduct a variety of investigations into high profile topics. When those investigations result in papers accepted for publication in a peer-reviewed journal of note, media outlets may direct requests for information to individual research investigators.
If you are a VA investigator or research staff person and receive questions or a request from the media for an interview, before you respond please:
- Contact your local facility Public Affairs Officer (PAO);
- Inform your research unit director; and
- either you, your PAO, or your research unit director should inform the Office of Research & Development Communications Office.
Your local PAO is responsible for informing you as to whether the interview will be approved.
Results and Publications Notification
Please note that it is the responsibility of VA investigators to:
Acknowledge VA support and/or employment in all publications, presentations, or professional activity where research results are being publicized, presented, recognized, or discussed.
- Submit all presentations or publications to the locally-designated review groups or individuals prior to submission for publication or other public presentation.
- Inform either directly or through proxy, the research office at the local VA facility at least prior to the expected publication, presentation, or professional activity where research results are being publicized, presented, recognized, or discussed.
For more information, review the Publication Notification & Attribution guidelines.
If you have any questions about the media response process, or about how and when to acknowledge upcoming publications or study results, please contact the Office of Research & Development Communications at firstname.lastname@example.org.