Description: The VIReC Database & Methods Cyberseminar Series presents informational seminars to help VA researchers access and use VA databases for research. Sessions include information about: 1.) Types of data and VA information systems; 2.) Uses of VA data in past research and new applications; 3.) Limitations of secondary data use in research; and 4.) Resources to support researchers’ use of VA data.
This introductory session, Overview of VA Data, Information Systems, National Databases and Research Use, introduces the Database & Methods series and provides an overview of VA data sources and their uses; data processing platforms and EHR access portals; and where to go for help and additional resources.
• Provide a general understanding of VIReC’s mission and activities.
• Introduce the FY17 Database & Methods Cyberseminar Series.
• Describe VA data sources commonly used in Research and Quality Improvement projects.
• Highlight select aspects of the content and use of key datasets.
• Provide pointers to additional resources and supports for using VA data.